Top 6 Skills to look for in Digital Marketing Candidates
When looking to hire a Marketing candidates, there are certain software, skills and personalities to look out for to make sure you are hiring the best out there.
Check out the list below of the top 6 attributes and in demand skills to look for in each of the digital marketing positions that would fill a marketing team.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM):
- Strong Excel Skills
- AdWords Certification or strong experience with Adwords and other software programs for SEM management like Kenshoo, Marin, etc.
- Knowledge of SEO
- Basic Technical/Programming skills is a huge help
- A/B Testing principals
- Strong Content/Copy and Communication skills
- Use of Pardot, Marketo, MailChimp
- Ability to analyze campaigns
- A-B testing
- Understanding of SPAM rules
- Experience with Segmentation & List Building
- Ability to talk about successful email campaigns prior | previous open rates & how they drove engagement
- A Love for Data!
- Strong in Google Analytics
- Advanced SQL & Excel Skills using Pivot Tables, V-Lookups and if possible Macros and Visual Basic
- Experience with Tag Management: Google Tag Manager, Adobe’s Tag Management are two common tools.
- Strong ability to do A/B testing
- Experience analyzing Display, Programmatic, SEM & SEO is ideal
Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
- Experience using SEO analysis programs (There are many, inquire which ones they worked with)
- Strong with Google Analytics
- A Love for Content Strategy
- Technical and Programming skills
- Previous examples of getting websites to the first page of Google
- Ability to discuss some of their white hat SEO strategies
There will always be companies that use different software programs and skills that are not common among most of the industry. It is key to find candidates that are adaptable and Tech Savvy enough to change with the times and learn the new methodologies. No matter the skills, remember to assess personality – you want to find the candidates that love what they do and want to find a workplace that they can drive growth and success. Top Digital Marketing candidates are a hot commodity in our economy, especially since the unemployment rate is at an all time low and candidates are receiving competing offers. Be sure to keep your interview process streamlined & short or else you may risk losing the best and brightest.